Thursday, June 13, 2013
Change is Hard
It has been a rough couple of days. The kids and I are missing our friends and our old house. I knew it would happen, we were bound to hit a wall sooner or later. This was our list of complaints on Tuesday:
1. Not one neighbor has come over to introduce themselves and say hello. What did we learn from this? Remember to be sensitive to the needs of new neighbors when we see people moving into our development.
2. We live off a very busy street. My daughter and I were waiting to pull out of the development, Maddie was driving and a person from our neighborhood began blowing their horn, impatient that we weren't moving faster. What did we learn from this? The next time we are impatient with someone, remember that we don't know what's going on in their lives. For example, my daughter just got her drivers license two weeks ago at age 18. She lost a dear friend in an auto accident and refused to learn to drive when she was 15. The horn blowing could have easily caused her to pull into traffic and we would have been hit for sure.
3. My son got a speeding ticket for doing 35mph in a 25mph zone. The area was new to him and he didn't see any signs. What did we learn from this? $125 later, go slower than you normally would in an unfamiliar area.
4. We're having problems with our hot water heater. Two people can't shower at the same time or both get cold water. What did we learn from this? Try to be the first one in!
5. The air conditioning quit working in the house. What did we learn from this? I can't think of one stinking thing.
6. The internet quit working. What did we learn from this? It's a good thing to have a computer savvy son around, even though it took hours to fix, at least he could fix it.
That was just Tuesday. Both Maddie and I had complete crying meltdowns at different times that day. Moving is much harder than it appears. We grow accustomed to familiar things and change is hard. Even my son was feeling it yesterday. I felt better after I purchased some peonies at Whole Foods. I had been missing my peonies at the other house. I also found a box marked fabric and took some out to dream for a few moments about sewing again. The painter doesn't come till the 24th so theres no need to unpack the sewing room just to pack it up again. God is teaching me patience in all kinds of new ways right now. I hope you don't mind me venting. You help me to keep things in perspective.